Shay Mitchell Reveals Busy Summer Plans with Her Family — and Why She's Opting Against a Beach Getaway This Year (Exclusive)

Shay Mitchell reveals her summer plans with her family in an exclusive interview with PEOPLE

People Shay Mitchell and her daughter Atlas. ; Shay Mitchell and her kids Atlas and Rome.Credit: Shay Mitchell Instagram ; Shay Mitchell Instagram

NEED TO KNOW

  • The actress said she plans to avoid the beach for a specific reason

  • Mitchell shares daughters Atlas, 6, and Rome, 4, with her longtime partner, Matte Babel

Shay Mitchellhas her sights set on summer.

The actress, 39, has been busy filming theBaywatchreboot, but she's planning on staying away from the beach when it comes to her next vacation.

"My summer plans are honestly probably going to just be traveling with my family," Mitchell told PEOPLE in an exclusive interview at the Fox Upfront in New York City on May 11.

"We're shooting a lot in L.A., which I feel very fortunate to be able to be doing, so I can put my girls to sleep when I come home some nights. But my summer plans are probably just getting on a plane and traveling, probably somewhere where there isn't a beach," continued the mom of two.

Alluding to herBaywatchrole and how it will affect her travel plans, Mitchell joked, "I'll still have the wrinkles from the water."

Shay Mitchell and her daughtersCredit: Shay Mitchell/ Instagram

The Canadian actress shares two daughters,Atlas, 6, andRome, 4, with her longtime partner,Matte Babel.

Mitchell previously opened up to PEOPLE about her eldest daughter's vast travels as a baby back in February 2020. “She's been to Vancouver, we've been to Paris, Vegas ... and I'm from Toronto, so we'll be going there soon," she said.

At the time, Mitchell explained that Atlas “loves a plane almost more than I do.”

Shay Mitchell and her daughter Atlas.Credit: Shay Mitchell Instagram

ThePretty Little Liarsalum launched her luggage brand BÉIS in 2018. One of the lines was inspired by her role as a mom.

She previously told PEOPLE, "The inspiration was my kids and kind of looking around and having to buy lunch boxes and backpacks for school, and seeing what I didn't see on the market."

Advertisement

In 2024, Mitchell hosted her own travel show, HBO Max'sThirst with Shay Mitchell,in which she traveled to Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Peru to explore various drinks and the local bars.

In the upcomingBaywatchreboot, Mitchell plays Trina, a lawyer who leaves a big firm to become a full-time lifeguard, perThe Hollywood Reporter.

Mitchell described the original series — which ran from 1989 to 2001 and starredCarmen Electra,Pamela AndersonandDavid Hasselhoff— as "heartwarming" in her May 11 interview with PEOPLE.

"I think people want heartwarming. I think that we're all loving nostalgia right now. Everything from the fashion world to entertainment and media, we want that sense of nostalgia, andBaywatchis that," she said.

"It had action in it, and it was just a really fresh take. So we're hoping to do the same," added Mitchell.

Mitchell also said that it was "surreal" getting to step into the iconic red bathing suit worn in the series. "I filmed the whole thing, and I was like, 'This is insane.' I mean, it was like putting on a superhero outfit, minus the cape," she said.

"In the future, when they ask me what I'm taking from set, it's the bathing suits," Mitchell continued.

Never miss a story — sign up forPEOPLE's free daily newsletterto stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

TheBaywatchreboot — also starringBrooks Nader,Livvy DunneandStephen Amell— is set to premiere on Fox in January 2027.

Read the original article onPeople

Shay Mitchell Reveals Busy Summer Plans with Her Family — and Why She's Opting Against a Beach Getaway This Year (Exclusive)

Shay Mitchell reveals her summer plans with her family in an exclusive interview with PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW The actr...
How Brendan Wayne channeled his grandfather, John Wayne, in his “Mandalorian” performance

The Mandalorian and Grogu actor Brendan Wayne is sharing how he brought a bit of his grandfather, John Wayne, to his portrayal of the bounty hunter.

Entertainment Weekly Brendan Wayne; John WayneCredit: Lucasfilm; Getty

Key Points

  • The actor, who shares the role with Pedro Pascal and Lateef Crowder, tells Entertainment Weekly that he wanted to make sure every one of Mando's movements counted.

  • "The more I became like my grandfather, the more I became like the samurai that he studied," he said.

The Mandalorian and Grogustar Brendan Wayne is sharing how his grandfather,John Wayne,influenced his performance as the titular stoic bounty hunter.

The actor, who physically embodies Mando alongsidePedro Pascal(who voices the character and plays him without the helmet) and Lateef Crowder (who handles the stuntwork), tellsEntertainment Weeklythat he had to learn to be present in a scene to play the heavily armored character on the Emmy-winningStar Warsseries.

"I had to really learn stillness, and it's really been one of the greatest things I've learned as an actor," Wane says. "For me, that journey, I always fought that because my grandfather was exceptional at being present and radiating whatever [was happening around him].John Fordloved to say to him, 'The less I give you, Duke, the better the movie is going to be.' It sounds like a slight, but it was more about if you just be there, it's as powerful as anything."

The Mandalorian and Grogu in 'The Mandalorian'Credit: Lucasfilm

He found himself bringing a bit of his grandfather's serenity to the character when working with directors Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, and Rick Famuyiwa on the first three seasons ofThe Mandalorian.

"When they were directing me, the more still I became, the more I became like my grandfather, the more I became like the samurai that he studied," Wayne says. "Every movement had a meaning; you don't waste them. And with samurai, every movement is a kill movement."

Which is exactly how Mando operates, too. "That's Mando. Those are the precepts that he works upon," he notes, "and so to have that trust in yourself that whatever you're living in that moment — if I'm working with Katee [Sackhoff] as Bo-Katan or Emily Swallow — as long as you're present, that's 90 percent of the work."

Advertisement

It was also important to Wayne that Mando always appear calm and collected — even when the cameras weren't rolling.

"I would get to set two and a half, three hours early, I'd do my workout, and then I'd go spend an hour at least walking the set, because I never wanted Mando to fall down in front of the crew," he says. "I wanted him to be as smooth as my grandfather, Clint Eastwood, or Yul Brynner inWestworld. I wanted him as smooth as could be so that every movement did matter."

As fate would have it, he's not the only member of the Wayne family who's part of theStar Warsuniverse. He toldPEOPLEthat he was completely unaware, when singing on to play Mando, that his grandfather's voice had been used for the Galactic Empire spy Garindan ezz Zavor inA New Hope.

"Back in the day, when we used film, they found the soundtrack on the ground in the editing room," he said. "And they knew it was fromTrue Grit. They took his voice [from stock audio], and they did whatever they do, their magic."

Brendan Wayne on 'The Mandalorian' setCredit: Lucasfilm

But don't worry, Wayne is completely fine with "riding the coattails of my grandfather" when it comes to playing a role in a galaxy far, far away. "I had hoped I might have been able to be the first in this," he teased, "but no, sadly, I was still second.'"

The Mandalorian and Groguis in theaters now.

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

How Brendan Wayne channeled his grandfather, John Wayne, in his “Mandalorian” performance

The Mandalorian and Grogu  actor Brendan Wayne is sharing how he brought a bit of his grandfather, John Wayne, to his portrayal of the ...
Phil Collins gives rare update on his health struggles, reveals if he'll ever tour or release new music again

Phil Collins has given a rare update on his debilitating health struggles, which have left him unable to play the drums.

Entertainment Weekly Phil Collins in 2022Credit: David Wolff-Patrick/Redferns

Key Points

  • The British musician — who'll be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in November — revealed if he plans to release new music or ever tour again.

  • In January, Collins said he has a 24-hour live-in nurse to help him manage his medications after years of health setbacks.

Phil Collinshas struggled with debilitating health issues in recent years, but his days of performing may not be over.

The legendary singer and drummer offered a rare update on his physical condition this week, specifically addressing how it has affected his plans to release new music and tour again.

Though he'll be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame for his solo work in a ceremony this November, Collins won't be celebrating the honor with a set of his greatest hits. "They asked me if I would perform," he said in aninterview with the U.K.’sBBC Breakfaston Friday. "And I said no. You've gotta be match fit to do something like that. You can't just go on stage. You're gonna have to rehearse, and then by that point, if you've not been singing your voice is gonna be shot, and then that's not gonna be good. So I'd rather not do it."

Collins hasn't played live since hisGrammy-winning prog-rock band, Genesis, wrapped their Last Domino Tour in March 2022. This past January, he revealed thathe has a live-in nurse to assist with his medications and is under 24-hour care, partly due to complications from a 2007 spinal injury that caused lasting nerve damage, leaving him unable to play the drums (his son Nic filled in for him during the Genesis tour while he handled vocals). He also said he'd undergone five surgeries on his knee, making it difficult for him to walk, and that he'd gotten sober after he'd developed kidney problems because of his heavy drinking.

Phil Collins performs in 1997Credit: Paul Bergen/Redferns

If the British musician hasn't recovered enough to perform at the Rock Hall ceremony, Collins hasn't totally ruled out returning to the stage one day. "I can't really see it happening,” he toldBBC Breakfast, "but I'm healthier now than I have been for quite a while."

Upon further reflection, Collins was more optimistic. "Whether or not I would go out again… I would contemplate, yeah," he said. "I mean, I'm constantly saying to myself, 'I've got to go back down into my studio at home.'"

Advertisement

A new album would mark Collins' first release of original music since his 2002 record,Testify. While he has nothing concrete on the horizon, he does have some material brewing. "I've got lots of lyrical ideas that I write down, and there are things that are half-formed and a couple of things that are finished," he said. "So, you know, there's things that I can get my teeth into to start working on."

Phil Collins performs in 1987Credit: Larry Busacca/Getty

While he has kept a low profile since wrapping the Genesis tour, Collinsmade a rare public appearancein London last weekend. His ex-wife Jill Collinsshared a photo on Instagram of themwithRod Stewartand his wife, Penny Lancaster, at Buckingham Palace as they celebrated the 50th anniversary of the youth charity The King's Trust.

In an interview earlier this month, Collins said he was surprised to learn he'd beeninducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, especially considering Genesis had already been inducted in 2010. "I've always followed up after [Genesis was inducted] — the results of who got in and who didn't," he told host Eddie Trunk on the SiriusXM showTrunk Nation. "But I'd kind of thought that that was it for me. I didn't expect it. And I'm very, very flattered and pleased that I was thought of… It’s very nice to be there."

Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with ourEW Dispatch newsletter.

Collins — along with Oasis, Sade, Joy Division/New Order, Billy Idol, Iron Maiden, Luther Vandross, and Wu-Tang Clan — will officially be inducted into the Rock Hall on Nov. 14 at the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles. Fans can watch the telecast of the ceremony in December on ABC and Disney+.

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

Phil Collins gives rare update on his health struggles, reveals if he'll ever tour or release new music again

Phil Collins has given a rare update on his debilitating health struggles, which have left him unable to play the drums. Key Poin...

 

BLUE MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com